Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Sour Cream and Green Chilli Enchiladas






I found this recipe on Pinterest (original blogger http://joyful-mommas-kitchen.blogspot.com/2011/09/white-chicken-enchiladas.html). This first time, I am going to follow the recipe as close as possible and see if there are any tweaks I can make. I am also making my own guacamole (my recipe), refried beans (from a can), and spanish rice (Rice a Roni).

The recipe called for 2 cups of shredded chicken...so I had to wing this part a little. I took two large frozen chicken breasts put them in a glass baking dish and preheated the oven to 375 degrees. I splashed some worcestershire sauce on the chicken, Lawry's season salt, black pepper, cumin, cilantro, and Mrs. Dash on the chicken and popped it in the oven for 45 minutes.

While the chicken was baking, I started this blog :) and then made my guacamole.

Guacamole Recipe
2 large avocados
2 table spoons of salsa or pico de gallo
1 table spoon sour cream
cilantro
salt & pepper to taste

My Guacamole

Cut up the avocados and mash them in a bowl with a fork. Add the salsa, sour cream, cilantro, salt & pepper and mix it up. TIP: add the seeds after it is made to hold off browning. Mind you this is not your typical guacamole, but we like it from time to time.

After I baked and shredded the chicken, I followed the recipe as closely as possible. With a couple small things I will note.

Here is the original recipe:

10 soft taco shells
2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
3 Tbsp. butter
3 Tbsp. flour
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup sour cream
1 (4 oz) can diced green chillies

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x13 pan
2. Mix chicken and 1 cup cheese. Roll up in tortillas and place in pan.
3. In a sauce pan, melt butter, stir in flour and cook 1 minute. Add broth and whisk until smooth. Heat over medium heat until thick and bubbly.
4. Stir in sour cream and chilies. Do not bring to boil, you don't want curdled sour cream.
5. Pour over enchiladas and top with remaining cheese.
6. Bake 22 min and then under high broil for 3 min to brown the cheese.

Shredded Chicken and Cheese Mixed

Rolled Enchiladas

Hot Out of the Oven

Ok...here are my notes....I used a 7oz can of chillies because that was all I could find. Mine made 5 enchiladas, not 10. And I did not broil them for the last three minutes.

My thoughts...I wouldn't say this was the best ever recipe. Fairly easy, but they were lacking flavor. We had left overs so I heated them up the next night for dinner and they were much better. So maybe make them the night before and let them sit and marinate in the fridge and re-heat in the oven. I probably won't use this recipe again though... sorry....

No comments:

Post a Comment