Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Green Beans with Caramelized Onions, Scalloped Potatoes and Chicken



Okay...to be honest...the best part of this meal was the green beans. The Chicken is my own recipe and its not bad either. The potatoes did not turn out too well...I will be searching for another recipe for those.

A few Christmases ago, my grandma gave me a Southern Living cookbook...she had no idea I would be living in the South at that point. Their recipe for Caramelized Green Beans is fabulous! I even used extra onions and sauce to top the chicken.

For this...you need to start the potatoes first because they take the longest. I found the recipe on about.com in Southern Food. But that was in 2009...and now I cannot find it again. I had printed it at the time and kept it. It had 5 star reviews, but I was disappointed. It's not bad...give it a try if you like, maybe you'll like it. TIP: If you have a slicer, it makes this recipe much easier. I found mine for $10 at Albertsons.

Ingredients:
  • 4 cups thinly sliced potatoes
  • 1 medium onion thinly sliced
  • 2 table spoons flour
  • 2 table spoons grated Parmesan cheeses (I actually doubled that cause I like cheese)
  • salt and pepper
  • 2 table spoons butter (I think I also used more than that)
  • 1 3/4 cups hot milk
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. lightly butter the bottom of a 1/2 quart casserole dish Place a layer of potatoes and onions in casserole. Sprinkle with some of the flour, cheese,  salt and pepper. Dot with small pieces of butter. Repeat layering ending with a layer of potatoes. Dot with butter and pour in hot milk. Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 15-20 minutes. Makes 4 servings.

Baked Chicken
Ingredients:
  • Chicken Breast (as many as you like)
  • Splash of chicken broth
  • Worcestershire Sauce
  • Mrs Dash Original
  • Season Salt
  • Black Pepper 
Preheat oven to 375.  Place chicken and splash of chicken broth in baking dish. Pierce chicken several times with a fork. Splash on Worcestershire sauce. Sprinkle salt, pepper, Mrs. Dash on top and bake for 30 minutes. Make sure to check the chicken to ensure it is done cooking.

Caramelized Onions and Green Beans...this will make extra sauce to top your chicken
Ingredients:
  • 1 pound fresh green beans, trimmed and washed
  • 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced then cut in half
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (I had pomegranate flavored and it was very good)
Cook green beans in boiling water for 10-15 minutes.Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a large skillet on medium high heat. Add onions. cook 8 minutes but do not stir. Continue to cook onion until golden, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to medium and add remaining butter and brown sugar. Add the green beans and cook about 5 minutes. Stir in vinegar and serve.

Enjoy!
Cheers!
CC

No comments:

Post a Comment