Saturday, March 10, 2012

Grasshopper Pie



When I was pregnant, I craved Grasshopper Pie. I went to countless pie shops and asked for it, and you would not believe the looks I got. "What is that? Is it made with grasshoppers?" I know pregnant women can sometimes crave strange things, but no...I was not wanting to eat actual grasshoppers. Apparently, Grasshopper Pie is more of a Southern type of thing and I lived in California. I could have easily made it myself, but I was sick through so much of my pregnancy, that I was not interested in cooking or baking.

Now that I live in the South, it is a well known dessert. It is a chocolate pudding pie with mint cream. And for fun, usually the cream is dyed green. So this would make an excellent St. Patrick's Day dessert.

This recipe comes from a Taste of Home Magazine supplement and is credited to Melissa Sokasits of Warrenville, IL.

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cups cold milk
  • 1 3.9oz package of instant chocolate pudding mix (its the smaller box of Jello pudding mix)
  • 2 3/4 cups whipped topping (aka cool whip)
  • 1 4.67 oz package of Andes candies, chopped
  • 1 9in chocolate crumb crust
  • 1/4 teaspoon mint extract
  • 3 drops green food coloring

Whisk milk and pudding together for about 2 minutes, then let stand for a few minutes while you prepare the topping. In another bowl, combine 2 cups whipped topping, mint extract, and food coloring. Set aside. Add 3/4 cup whipped topping to the pudding mixture and mix well. Fold in half the Andes. Spoon into the pie crust and smooth out. Top with the green whipped topping and sprinkle on remaining Andes. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours. 

Cheers!
CC

No comments:

Post a Comment