Wednesday, April 11, 2012

CC's Famous Candied Yams



This recipe is my own creation...and I believe I have perfected it. I also have protected my recipe because I love when people ask me to bring the yams to get togethers. But...I live so far from family now, that I feel I should share the recipe so a part of me can live on at the holiday celebrations. I use real yams, not the kind in a can. Please, if you use my recipe, do not taint it with canned yams. It will not come out the same. Also, make it the night before the get together. They taste much better this way.

Ingredients:
  •  4 yams peeled, washed and cut into chunks
  • 6 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1 cup Mrs. Butterworth's Maple Syrup (use this brand...it tastes better)
  • 6 teaspoons Pumpkin Spice
  • 1 1/2 cups butter
  • 1 cup chopped pecans
  • 1/2 bag mini marshmallows (optional)
In a pot, boil enough water to cover yams, and add in 3 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice, and 3 tablespoons of brown sugar. While water is heating up, peel, wash and cut yams into chunks. Typically I cut each one 4 times length wise then each piece into quarters. When water is boiling, add yams and cook until soft.



Drain yams and place in a large mixing bowl. Add butter, remaining pumpkin spice, brown sugar, and syrup. Mix with a mixer until smooth.  Scoop into an 8x8 square baking dish. Place pecans on top and for best result, cover and place in refrigerator over night.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees and bake for 30 minutes. Add marshmallows to the top and bake until marshmallows are golden (usually about 10-15 minutes).

1 comment:

  1. I can vouch for these yams having had them many times, they are DELISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete